Sunday, May 28, 2017

Bubble Tea, Boba, Tapioca Pearls

Tapioca Pearls.
I've already posted these tapioca pearls in the Instant Pot with my Mango Lassi post, but now that its close to spring time I thought I would repost them alone. That way we can get ready for warm weather drinks. Do you like Bubble tea? What is your favorite? Smoothies? Tea? Iced coffee?
Dried Tapioca pearls.
I really like it with Grass Jelly drink. Coffee.  The sky's the limit really, whatever you like. My kids like smoothies, so I usually make them with a handful of kale. At least at home I can control how much sugar goes into their drink!

Boba tea ready to go into the Instant Pot.
You don't need to weigh or measure your pearls for cooking. Just a 1:2 ratio pearls to water works. You cold probably use a little less water but I like them to have room to swim. I also don't want to risk them sticking to the bottom of the pot.

Such pretty pastels, they come in other colors also.
I love these pastel boba. They remind me of the Japanese candies like in the movie Totoro. The little star ones. So cute. Anyway, these are so quick to make but once you make them they do not store well. They get hard, it doesn't matter if you make them on the stove top or the pressure cooker. It takes about 5 minutes total to make these so I just make them as needed.
Just two minutes!
I make them up to four hours ahead of time. They can't go in the fridge. I make them, and store them covered in a simple syrup from water and sugar.  The pearls don't need to be flavored but sometimes I'll flavor the simple syrup with rose water or vanilla extract, sometimes lime zest.
 Squueeee sooo cute.


Mango Lassi.

Boba, Bubble Tea or Tapioca Pearls

155 grams boba or tapioca pearls (about one cup)
2 cups water

  1. Put tapioca and water into the liner of the Instant Pot, stir so none are stuck to the liner.
  2. Cook on MANUAL, HIGH pressure for TWO minutes.
  3. Once it is done, do a quick release of the steam by carefully opening the vent. I have waited two minutes and the pearls weren't too soft.
  4. Rinse the pearls in water and use them right away.

To store: Place the tapioca in a simple syrup for up to four hours at room temperature. If refrigerated they will start to harden. If this happens you can gently reheat on the stove, some of the texture will be lost though. I suggest just making as you go. It's only a few minutes!

The simple syrup can be flavored while you make it also to lightly flavor the pearls. A slice of ginger, lime zest, vanilla, orange slices, rose water. Whatever you like.
Less water could probably be used but I didn't want them to stick to the bottom of my pot, so I gave them lots of room to swim.

Thanks for reading Give Peas A Chance!
If you like what you just read please consider pinning it and sharing with friends on social media.
Find me on
 FacebookTwitter (@peasblog), Instagram (@peasknees), Google +

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. This just turned into a disgusting mess in my IP.... They all fused together, and the center of the balls were still hard.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading Give Peas A Chance! Comments may take awhile for me to moderate! I'll post them as soon as I can and reply! If you haven't followed Give Peas A Chance check the right side of my blog to do so!
If you need something right away I can usually be found pretty quickly on my FB page.